Improving personal and professional life, seeking to highlight positive points and a better balance, with a focus on optimizing quality of life: this is something very desirable, isn’t it? But if you know what coaching is, you understand that it does exactly that with people’s lives. If you don’t know, we’ll explain next!
Many people feel that they need help to improve in different areas of their lives. For this, an interesting option is to invest in coaching. See then, in today’s post, how it works and what are its benefits. Let’s go!
WHAT IS COACHING?
Coaching is a process in which, through sessions, the coach (person responsible for leading and conducting the process) helps to work on the potential of the coachee (person who requested the job). This occurs through specific methodologies and techniques, helping to motivate and encourage your client.
This work is inspired by the role of the sports coach, who leads and helps his athletes to achieve their goals in the best possible way.
WHAT DOES THE COACHING PROFESSIONAL DO?
The professional confidence coach, endowed with knowledge of several interdisciplinary areas, will seek to understand what are the barriers and potential of his coachee.
From this, he will know how to find the main goals to be achieved in the short and long term and will be responsible for monitoring his client, in order to verify that he is following the plan. Otherwise, he will seek to understand what the main errors are and how to correct them, in a pragmatic way.
In this process, he must also help the person to improve his self-knowledge, so that he can recognize his qualities, his weaknesses and be able to enhance himself throughout the process, conquering his autonomy.
With this, the coach stimulates characteristics such as: focus, commitment, improvement of self-esteem, self-criticism, development of values and priorities, dedication, among others.
It is important to know that the central focus is the development of the main competences of the person being trained, through techniques and methods specific to the area.
WHICH AREAS ARE INVOLVED IN THE PROCESS?
As we said, coaching is a multidisciplinary work and therefore covers several areas of knowledge in its performance, such as:
- people management;
- neuro cognition;
- cognitive theories;
- persuasion techniques;
- leadership development ;
- motivational area;
WHAT DOES A COACHING PROFESSIONAL NOT DO?
It is also important to define what the coach does not do. After all, many “pseudo-professionals” in the area make incredible promises that, in fact, cannot be guaranteed when hiring follow-up services.
Professional coaching does not:
- self help;
- therapy for mental health issues (depression, anxiety, OCD, hyperactivity, etc.);
- business consulting;
- personal/professional training;
- teaching or tutoring;
- follow-up without substantiated methodology.
HOW DOES THIS PROCESS WORK?
THE SEARCH FOR A SERIOUS PROFESSIONAL
In the first place, the coachee, when realizing that his personal life needs help for its development, looks for renowned companies and professionals in the area, certified by the main responsible entities.
After choosing one that is trustworthy, there will be the first session, in which the coach will seek to understand that person’s needs, what are their main demands and what are their strengths.
THE IMPORTANCE OF MUTUAL TRUST
Often, in this first conversation, points of improvement are discovered that even the client himself did not know he needed and that can be useful to develop the potential that he wants to improve later.
Therefore, this must be a process of mutual trust, so that the professional can be free to understand who the person is assisting and establish the best approach methodology for their case.
GOAL AND ACTION PLANNING
After this moment, the professional will establish a plan of actions and goals in the short and long term, as well as the general and specific objectives with the process.
It should be known that this is not a unilateral procedure: coach and coachee elaborate this plan together, analyzing demands, potentialities, weaknesses and approaches, in order to define what will be most efficient at a given moment.
And it is common to establish a number of sessions for this work to be done. It may happen that the objective is achieved earlier, using the remaining encounters to improve and refine the skills stimulated, as well as it may take more time to reach certain goals.
Remember that it is not an exact science and evolution depends on the partnership between the parties and the commitment of the person who hired the service. As a result, people evolve at different rates—and there’s nothing wrong with that.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF INVESTING IN COACHING?
Coaching is an important ally for anyone who wants to become a more competent, efficient and motivated person and professional. Some of the benefits are:
- increased self-esteem: when you see that you are able to perform tasks that you could not do before, there is an increase in self-esteem, helping to empower the coachee;
- overcoming fears : using the appropriate methodology, it is possible to break barriers that impede the person’s personal and professional development;
- improvement of focus and procrastination: tools developed by the coach will allow the person to improve their focus and carry out their tasks, without resorting to procrastination, improving their productivity;
- enhancement of interpersonal communication: those who have communication difficulties in the most diverse areas of life can experience improvements with the coaching work;
greater confidence in oneself:
when a person begins to reach his personal goals, through his effort, he acquires greater confidence in himself;
- helps with self-knowledge: by understanding what your positive and negative points are, the person begins to look at himself and get to know himself better, something positive to continue the gains after the end of the follow-up;
- better perception of priorities: the coachee learns, with follow-up, to define what are the main priorities in his life at that moment, allowing for more efficient choices;
- Increases the quality of life: with better organization, greater focus and improving your time management, you experience a great improvement in the quality of life.
That is, there are a number of gains for the most diverse areas of the coachee’s life. Even if you opt for monitoring for the personal area, for example, there are several tools that can be used in the professional area as well. That’s pretty good, isn’t it?
Did you find out what coaching is and how it can add a lot to your life? So get in touch with us and ask your questions about it.